An offering of literary hors d’oeuvres to slight to be entrees… but tasty and tempting nonetheless….


A gathering of essays, opinions

…answers to questions not yet asked


A scattering of poems

…some old, some new, some funny, some true


A smattering of random thoughts

…late at night, walking the dog, half asleep

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Thanks

                                                Thanks

I say “thanks” a lot…the everyday kind I mean; when someone holds the door open for me even when they seem to be in a hurry, or moves their cart out of the way in crowded super market aisles. When a car stops to let me pass I wave a thanks. A post on Facebook that makes me think a new thought or a particularly lovely poem or short story or essay brings a grateful thanks. A phone call or a text reminding me of something important or just shares a moment out of a busy day,,,thanks.  Some might think it really silly that I always thank my dog when she brings me something she believes is a special treasure or curls up close to me, warm on a particularly cold night. A waiter who pulls out my chair for me, graciously or not, gets a thanks.
When I have walked around an uncrowded store and haven’t bought anything I smile and say thanks to the owner who frequently looks up, surprised, and grins in return.  I learned that one from a guide to getting along in France where customers Bonjour  the store owner upon entering and always merci when leaving.
There’s something that happens in the saying, something that changes what is viewed by some as an automatic, rote response into an ephemeral but very real touching of someone else. A tiny rush of recognition, of honoring another being, I see YOU and give you ME in just a very swift, quickly forgotten moment. Out of all the myriad contacts that happen each day a few are set aside and given extra value by that one word, thanks. It is as though we brush our fingertips in passing. I am enriched and grateful…Thanks.

P.S.  thanks for listening.

3 comments: