An offering of literary hors d’oeuvres to slight to be entrees… but tasty and tempting nonetheless….


A gathering of essays, opinions

…answers to questions not yet asked


A scattering of poems

…some old, some new, some funny, some true


A smattering of random thoughts

…late at night, walking the dog, half asleep

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Ka-chink, Ka-chink

                    
[Southwark, the south side of the Thames was until recent times the ‘step sister’ of the more posh northern side of London.  In the middle ages it housed the theatres, the brothels, bear-baiting dens, and the infamous prison called The Clink. The Bishop of Winchester whose See it was protected the prostitutes for [a price.]

Ka-chink, ka-chink, it’s off to the Clink
cause I aint got no money!
I’m dead on my feet from walking the streets.
the Bishop, my pimp he takes what I got
and leaves me nary a shilling.
I’m willing to work, I want to be good,
I’m willing to sweep to scrub but nobody wants
and nobody pays
so where is the dosh that can get me a flat,
somewhere warm and dry.
…think of that!
a meal, a rum, a warm woolen hat!
“Hey Mister, want some?
I got”
“No thanks, honey.” so that’s that.
I finds me a corner out of the rain, chase off the rat.
“Scat!!”
But the ‘Bobby’ he come,
“On your way, Scum! You can’t stay here.” 
So what do I do, where do I go…there’s nothin’ now but That…

Ka-chink, ka-chink, it’s off to the Clink

cause I aint got no money!

No comments:

Post a Comment